September is Suicide Prevention Month and provides an opportunity to reflect on the severity of the issue, promote awareness, and start conversations to remove stigma around suicide. This month is one where we can initiate change, unite survivors, allies, and community members to spread awareness about suicide prevention.
How common is suicide?
In 2018 it was recorded 3,046 deaths by suicide were registered in Australia, this is an average of 8 deaths per day.
- 1 in 8 Australians aged 16 – 85 had serious thoughts about taking their own life.
- 1 in 25 had made a suicide plan and.
- 1 in 33 had attempted suicide.
- Social withdrawal
- Reckless behaviour
- Poor diet changes
- Alcohol / drug abuse
- Saying they feel worthless or alone
- Talking about death or wanting to die
- Believing they are a burden to others
Ways you can you help:
- Ask those around you how they are and let them know you care about them.
- Provide a judgement free zone, don’t criticise, or blame them.
- Ask if they have felt this way before.
- Reassure them that they will not feel this way forever.
- Validate their experiences and feelings.
- Check-in with them frequently.
- Offer to help them find professional help.
Ways you can help yourself:
- Seek support in those around you. Colleagues, friends, family, it is likely they are more understanding than you know.
- Don’t be afraid to speak to a professional or a helpline. There is no shame in receiving help.
- Engage in activities that make you feel fulfilled; join a new club, exercise, or something as simple as a weekly dinner with friends.
As Perth Family Lawyers deals with Family Law Matters, we understand how difficult times can trigger responses in people. We aim to provide the guidance and support needed during these tough times. We emphasise you are never alone and we are by your side.
Lifeline Australia – 13 11 14
Suicide Call Back Service – 1300 659 367
Kids Helpline – 1800 55 1800
MensLine Australia – 1300 78 99 78
Beyond Blue – 1300 22 4636
Register for webinars for more information on the pressing issue: