Parenting Arrangements over the Christmas period

Christmas period can be a joyful time for most families. At Perth Family Lawyers we know only too well that it can also be emotional and stressful, particularly for separated parents if they have no agreed parenting arrangements as to time with the children over the Christmas holidays.  Our family lawyers have seen far-reaching consequences if a parent is unable to see children over Christmas, as this can significantly impact the post-separation parenting relationship for many years.  It is far better to have clear agreed arrangements in place, so there is no room for misunderstandings about the time each parent is spending with the children over Christmas.

A common solution to parenting arrangements over Christmas is to agree to share and alternate the arrangements each year.  For example the children may spend time with the Mother from 2.00pm Christmas Eve until 2.00pm Christmas Day and with the Father from 2.00pm Christmas Day until 2.00pm Boxing Day in one year, and rotate the arrangement the next.  This means that children can enjoy Christmas at both Mum and Dad’s homes, and experience Christmas morning with each of them every second year.  Another approach commonly agreed to by parents, is that the children spend the entirety of the Christmas period with one parent only, and this is alternated.  This can be preferred if you do not reside in close proximity together, or if there is significant conflict between you.  Individual tailored legal advice from experienced family lawyers is critical to securing the approach that will be best for your children.

All applications for parenting matters regarding the Christmas period must be filed by 4.00pm on Friday, 12 November 2021.  Applications filed after this date may not be processed and heard before Christmas, leaving families distressed if parents are unable to see their children for Christmas. 

If you and the other parent cannot agree about Christmas parenting arrangements, or if you are concerned you will not be able to spend time with your children over Christmas, act now.

Perth Family Lawyers can provide you with a legal advice and file any necessary applications to ensure you spend time with your children during this special time of the year.

In urgent parenting cases, such as cases involving family violence or a risk of harm to children, there is no cut-off date for filing of applications. 

If you wish to negotiate parenting arrangements with the other parent and need our assistance, or if you think you should file an application with the Family Court in that respect, we recommend you to contact our office on (08) 9325 8675 as soon as possible. If you have any queries, please contact our office